Finding work with a felony on your record is notoriously difficult. The goal of this article is to make it as easy as possible to identify jobs for felons in Virginia Beach. Below, you will find large chains and local hot spots where you have a chance to find work, despite your record.
There are over 11,000 businesses in Virginia County. By using this list, you can narrow that scope to positions suitable to your background and experience.
We’ve reached out to over one thousand employers to learn more about their attitudes toward hiring people with felony convictions. Many of our staff have also had run-ins with the criminal justice system, so we know exactly how hard it can be! That’s why we’ve hand-picked these companies for you.
Jobs that hire felons in Virginia Beach
Below you will find a tool that helps you search for local opportunities. You can use the fields in the search feature to narrow down the list of jobs that hire felons in Virginia Beach according to your interests. For example, if you want to look for work in restaurants or transportation, seasonal or full-time, you can limit results to those jobs.
Top companies that hire felons in Virginia Beach
If you’re keen to get started, you can click on the company names in the tabs below to jump straight to the one you like best. Otherwise, read on for the full list of companies in the area that are more likely to hire former offenders.
Before we dive into that, though, make sure your resume is up to date and looking good. Our resume guide for former offenders will help you tailor your resume so it stands out, despite your record.
Let’s take a look at some of the top companies that hire felons in Virginia Beach!
Dollar Tree is a massive retail franchise. Not only is the company historically open to hiring former offenders, they also have lots of entry-level positions.
Here are a few examples:
- Store associate
Gold Key/PHR Hotels & Resorts
Due to its scenic location, Virginia Beach is a major tourist destination. Consequently, many of the jobs in the area fall into the hospitality industry. This chain of hotels is often looking for new employees, so give them a look!
Here are some of their entry-level positions:
- Custodial Services
- Food Preparation and Service
Smithfield Foods is a food processing company that focuses specifically on the treatment and distribution of meat. While they might not be the right fit for a vegetarian, they are a big local hirer and can serve as an excellent opportunity for the right candidate.
Here are some examples of their entry-level positions:
- Custodial Services
- Production Lead
- Machine Operator
STIHL is a major manufacturer of a wide range of power tools. For people looking for work in factories or warehouses, the company will serve as an excellent opportunity.
Some examples of entry-level jobs:
- Machine Operator
Ollie’s Bargain Outlet
If this name is familiar to you, you’ll know why it’s here! As a well-known retail outlet in the area, Ollie’s should be on your list if you’re looking for an upbeat atmosphere that involves shift work.
They have a ton of entry-level positions, such as:
- Sales Associate
- Distribution and Logistics
- Stocking Team
The US Navy
There is significant military presence in Virginia Beach. Because of the geographical features of the area, it was a natural location for the US Navy to set up shop.
The United States military is a little hit-and-miss when it comes to hiring former offenders. The nature of your offense will have a major influence on the outcome. However, even without enrolling in the Navy, there are still lots of jobs available on base.
Some entry-level jobs on base, if you’re not looking to enlist:
- Custodial Duties
- Food Service
- Landscaping Services
Big Al’s Mufflers and Brakes
Searching this list for an auto repair shop? Look no further. Big Al’s has a few locations across the city and might be the right place to get back to work.
Some examples of entry-level work here:
- General Labor
Doc Taylors is a local restaurant popular both with tourists and the locals. If you have customer service or food prep experience, it may be a great place to look for work.
Some examples of entry-level jobs:
- Wait staff
Westminster-Canterbury on Chesapeake Bay
Westminster is a retirement/assisted living community in the Virginia Beach area. While many of the jobs that come to mind when one thinks “assisted living” are highly specialized, there are also tons of support positions that make the place run smoothly.
Some examples of entry-level jobs here:
- Janitorial service
- Dish washer
- Room Attendent
ECPI is a business school located in the Virginia Beach area. Even if you don’t have a college degree, there are positions available. It is a big employer that shouldn’t be overlooked.
Some examples of entry-level jobs at ECPI University:
- Janitorial services
- Food service
Trucking jobs for felons in Virginia Beach
Trucking jobs are highly valued for the fact that they pay quite well and are generally accessible to people from a wide range of different backgrounds. Granted, trucking is tough work, but it is precisely for that reason that the money is good.
Here are some of the top trucking jobs for felons in Virginia Beach.
- VA Beach Delivery Inc.
- Guaranteed Transport Service
- NFI Industries
- Live Trucking
Warehouse jobs for felons in Virginia Beach
Warehouse jobs are similar to trucking work in that the positions don’t ask for a lot of background education, but the pay tends to be somewhat above average. The nice thing is that they aren’t hard to come by, either. Most major companies have their own warehouses and require inventory management at their retail locations. This means lots of opportunities for a new start!
Here is a list of where to find some good warehouse jobs for felons in Virginia Beach.
Temp agency jobs for felons in Virginia Beach
Staffing agencies are such a great resource for employment. This is especially true if you are looking for some entry-level work to tide you over as you search for something a little more lucrative. With temp agency jobs for felons in Virginia beach, the work will be steady, and the commitments short-term.
Here are the best employment agency jobs for felons in Virginia Beach:
- Abacus Staffing
- Express Employment Professionals
Second chance and job training programs for felons in Virginia Beach
Thanks to Ban the Box laws in Virginia, it is now illegal for federal agencies to seek information about a candidate’s criminal history until after an offer has already been extended. Ban the Box laws are an excellent second chance opportunity for former offenders looking for work.
Second chance job training programs can serve as another great local resource to people who are struggling to find work. Here are some great second chance and job training programs for felons in Virginia Beach.
- City of Virginia Beach Human Services Department
- Mission: This program is designed to assist residents transition from state commitment to their home community. The goal is to assist residents in becoming successful, productive and contributing members of their community and society.
- Services offered: Education, Employment
- Virginia C.A.R.E.S.
- Mission: To lead a state-wide network of reentry programs that reduces recidivism, promotes public safety and provides supportive services to assist returning citizens lead successful lives.
- Services offered: Education, Employment, Referrals
- The Second Chance Offender Rehabilitation Effort (SCORE)
- Mission: Enforce federal law and defend the United States; Advance public safety; Foster respect for our legal system and the rule of law; Promote a peaceful and lawful society where the civil rights of all persons are valued and protected; Strengthen relationships with our law enforcement, agency partners, and members of the judiciary
- Services offered: Addiction and Recovery, Employment, Medical
- Assisting Families of Inmates
- Mission: The mission of AFOI is to provide opportunities for regular, meaningful visitation, referrals to community resources, and other services that help families cope with incarceration and prepare for release and reunification. We strive to prevent the breakdown of relationships among inmates and their families by providing regular, meaningful visitation, support, referrals and education services. Our programs help families and loved ones throughout the period of incarceration and also prepare families for a successful transition when the inmate is released from prison back into our community. Assisting Families of Inmates is one of only a handful of such programs to provide these services in Virginia and across the United States.
- Services offered: Family
- Prison Fellowship
- Mission: To restore those affected by crime and incarceration.
- Services offered: Addiction and Recovery, Education, Family