Here’s important information about background checks across the United States:
The following states will review your criminal record going back seven years:
- New Hampshire*
- New York*
(* sometimes certain pay or salary bracket positions require one.)
In a small number of states, you won’t need to be concerned about charges where you were found not guilty. Here are these states:
- Indiana (limited check)
- New York
Nevertheless, most states will look at your whole record — even those where you were found not guilty. These are:
- Indiana (extensive check)
- New Jersey
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
We took a look at what Google employees had to say online.
- Glassdoor — Based on 8,368 reviews, the company gets 4.4 out of 5 stars. 90% say they’d recommend Google to a friend and 94% approve of the CEO. What’s more, the company has been on the Glassdoor Best Places to Work for the past 11 years. Additionally, the CEO made the Top CEO list for six years in a row! Here are some comments from staff:
- “Amazing company to work for.”
- “The best place I’ve worked and also the most demanding.”
- “Unique, one of a kind dream job.”
- “Can confirm — is pretty ideal.”
- Indeed — Google gets 4.3 out of 5 based on 2,900 reviews. 88% of employees approve of the CEO and company staff like Google best for their work-life balance and culture.
What felonies Google will not hire
Google didn’t give us the names of the felonies that would put your application most at risk, but we’ve gathered a few in the next section that we think will give you a hard time.
What felony convictions might have a hard time getting hired here?
There are a few types of offenses that may make it more difficult to get a job at Google with a felony or, for that matter, a misdemeanor.
If you have a criminal history of violence such as assault and battery offenses, this may be an issue. They want to maintain a safe and healthy workplace for all staff.
Offenses related to substance abuse are another type that may cause you some difficulty for similar reasons.
Does Google hire sex offenders?
There is nothing online and nothing directly from the company on this. Google might hire sex offenders, but they haven’t made it known.
Does Google drug test?
No, apparently not. We found several online comments from employees confirming that they don’t drug test.
Have you applied for a job or worked here? Share your experiences!
Step up and tell us what you know. Any firsthand experience you have will really help us and our readers!