What are some entry-level jobs?
At Discount Tire, the main entry-level job is a tire service technician. You’ll be working on vehicles doing tire rotations and seasonal changes, as well as general tire upkeep. While it’s shift work, you won’t have any late evenings.
They like to promote from within, so an entry-level job will give you the opportunity to learn your way around the company and set yourself up for promotions.
Check out what they have on their careers page.
How to get hired at Discount Tire with a felony
You’ve decided Discount Tire sounds like the perfect job for you, but you’re concerned about your record holding you back. We’ve got some tips to help your resume stand out and you land the interview, despite your background.
Since Discount Tire is in the automotive industry, you’ll want your resume and application to reflect any experience you have with vehicles. Do you know how to perform tire maintenance like rotations, balancing and repairs? What about installing new tires and wheels?
If you answered yes to either of these questions, tell the company how you came about this experience. Was it the automotive center in prison? Have you worked at a garage before? Maybe you learned by working on your own vehicles.
Don’t forget to include your past employers, but just keep it to the ones relevant to the position. If you’ve never worked in the automotive industry, you can include any sales or customer service jobs.
Once you’ve made it to the interview process, there are a few things you’ll want to keep in mind.
Before the interview:
- Take out any piercings and hide any noticeable tattoos. If this is a concern, bring it up at the end of the interview.
- Dress business casual. This means you don’t have to wear a suit and tie, but you also don’t want to wear jeans. Something in-between, like khakis and a dress shirt should be just fine.
- Arrive 10-15 minutes early. You’ll be showing the company that you are reliable and on time.
During the interview:
- Have a positive attitude. Discount Tire is going to want to know you can stay friendly even in the toughest of circumstances.
- Ask questions. Interviewers typically will ask their questions and then give you a chance to have the floor with your questions.
- Be honest about your past. Discount Tire wants to know that you’re willing to tell the truth about your convictions and you’re making the necessary life changes.
After the interview:
- Follow up with the company. Send them an email, give them a call or stop by your local store. This will give you an opportunity to check on the status of your application as well as let them know you’re still interested in a position with them.
If you do these things, you’ll have a decent shot at an entry-level job with Discount Tire.