Yes, they do. The Ace Hardware job application confirms you are giving them permission to contact previous employers and any professional references you’ve included.
Also, the application says the background check may involve a consumer report that covers areas such as your general reputation and character.
The application also asks you to list any felonies in the last seven years. However, it states that a criminal record won’t necessarily disqualify you from employment. In addition, the online comments generally support that some kind of background check is done.
Here’s what you need to know about background checks:
Similar to what is on the Ace Hardware application, employers in some states go back only seven years to check your background. Here are the particular states:
- New Hampshire*
- New York*
(* sometimes certain pay or salary bracket positions require one.)
Then again, some states don’t check for charges where you were found not guilty. Below are these states:
- New York
Finally, pay attention to the list of states below that look at your entire record, including any not guilty verdicts:
- New Jersey
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
There are 968 reviews from employees of the company on glassdoor.com. They gave the company 3.6 out of 5 stars. This is a good overall rating.
On top of that, 68% said they would recommend Ace Hardware to friend and 88% approved of the CEO!
This feedback should tell you that this is one company you might really enjoy working for.
What felony convictions might have a hard time getting hired here?
Although Ace Hardware appears to be a felon-friendly company, you could have a harder time getting hired with certain convictions. Here are some examples:
- Theft — you’ll be working with a lot of inventory and the company will want to make sure you can be accountable for it.
- Fraud — small business owners who operate Ace Hardware stores are looking for staff they can really trust with their store.
- Assault and related — any history of violence may be a concern since it’s not always easy to work in customer service.
So, if any of the above offenses apply to you:
- Be prepared to explain the circumstances.
- Be ready to say what you have done to prevent future criminal offenses.
- Consider describing any help you have had. For example, have you successfully completed anger management counseling or a substance abuse program?
Does Ace Hardware drug test?
Yes, they do. Some say they had to pass a drug test before hiring. Others talk about random drug tests where they work. Still others describe being drug tested if there was suspicion of use.
However, each store is responsible for its own hiring and management policies. This means each store follows its own rules. That being said, be ready just in case.
Have you applied for a job or worked here? Share your experiences!
Do you personally know how to get hired at Ace Hardware?
By sharing your experiences, you can really help others find a good job and become contributing members of the community.
We look forward to hearing from you!