Looking for a new job can be a drag, and this is especially true for those that have been involved with the justice system. We personally know the struggle is real, and we are here to help you find jobs for felons in Norfolk, Virginia. Our outstanding team has contacted over 1,000 companies in the US to find out how open they are towards hiring former felons, and then focused in on the economy here in Norfolk to assist locals in their job hunt. Ready to get back to work? Let’s go!
Jobs that hire felons in Norfolk
Norfolk is a large city on the coast of southeastern Virginia with a robust economy. It has a population of over 247,000, 144 miles of shoreline, and is home to the world’s largest naval base and the North American Headquarters for NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization). USA Today called Norfolk one of the top 10 booming downtowns (2015), reflecting its dynamic service and hospitality sector.
Norfolk has the largest inter-model center in the US, encompassing many cultural and recreational centers such as the Virginia Opera, the Virginia Symphony, Chrysler Museum of Art, the General Douglas MacArthur Memorial, and the National Maritime Center. You will find tons of vocational and career opportunities available in Norfolk and the surrounding areas.
To boost the efficiency of your search for jobs that hire felons in Norfolk, use our wonderful job search tool. It will allow you to zero in on just the types of jobs you are looking for.
Top companies that hire felons in Norfolk
Getting back into the workforce is almost always a stressful experience. To increase your odds of landing a job, we suggest you look at entry-level positions. They always have the lowest requirements for hiring, and you will have a much better chance of locating positions that do not require a background check.
Another great tip for enabling you to find a job quickly is to go to an employment or temp agency. They always have a good supply of job openings and can help you locate positions that fit your situation. If you want to jumpstart your job search, then you should take a look at employment agency jobs for felons in Norfolk.
Now let’s get to the focus of this article, companies that hire felons in Norfolk. To get right to a company that interests you, just click on the company name, or you can keep reading to see all of them.
One last thing to mention before you get into the list of opportunities in Norfolk: Your resume. You do have a great resume ready to go, right? If not, then you definitely need to make use of our great guide to making a resume for people with a record.
Norfolk Southern Railway
Norfolk Southern Railway is one of the largest train transportation companies in the US. They operate over 19,000 route miles in 22 states and the District of Columbia, serving all the major container ports in the eastern US. Norfolk Southern is a major transporter of industrial products, such as chemicals, agricultural items, metals, and construction materials.
Some promising jobs for former felons:
- Mechanical Laborer
- Engineering Trainee
- Track Laborer
- Electrical Apprentice
Automatic Data Processing, Inc. (ADP) is a provider of human resources management software, data processing, and related services. They are based in New Jersey, have an annual revenue of over $14 billion, and over 58,000 employees (2020). ADP usually has a lot of entry-level job openings.
Some good opportunities to look for:
- Customer Service
- Payroll Support Rep
- Associate Client Support Consultant
- Centralized Service Representative
- Associate Account Manager
CMA CGM S.A. is a major container shipping and transportation enterprise. It is the third-largest container shipping company in the world, with over 250 shipping routes between 420 ports in 160 countries. They have a very large operation in Norfolk that offers a wide variety of opportunities.
Some solid jobs for former felons:
- Export Booking Representative
- Shipping / Receiving
- Customer Service Representative
- Intermodal Coordinator
Dominion Enterprises is an information and media business that provides services for the automotive, real estate, and travel industries, and also has internet and printed media operations. It is based in Norfolk, has over 4,000 employees, and over $2 billion in revenues (2021).
Great jobs for former felons:
- Customer Support Rep
- Deployment Specialist
- Railroad Machinery Operator
- Account Specialist
- Business Analyst
Econo Lodge is an economy motel chain with locations in every US state and all Canadian provinces. It is the second-largest brand in the Choice Hotels system, with more than 700 buildings to its name, and is often located near highways or highway access.
Promising jobs for former felons:
- Front Desk Agent
- Customer Service
Maersk is the largest container shipping line and vessel operator in the world. It operates ocean and inland freight transportation and associated services, such as supply chain management and port operations. Maersk is based in Copenhagen, Denmark, with subsidiaries and offices across 130 countries and around 83,000 employees worldwide (2020).
Some great opportunities, for former felons:
- Material Handler
- Dispatch Specialist
- Forklift Operator
- Transportation Coordinator
- Customer Service Representative
Land ‘N’ Sea Distributing
Land ‘N’ Sea Distributing, Inc. (Brunswick Corp.) is a wholesale distributor for the RV and Marine industries. They have been in business for over 40 years and provide thousands of different parts and accessories from warehouses nationwide.
Promising jobs for former felons:
- Back Up Driver
- Warehouse Clerk
- Client Support
CDM Smith is a civil engineering and construction company that provides water, environment, transportation, and energy and facilities projects for public and private clients. CDM Smith has locations in the Norfolk area that employ over 5,000. Could this be the spot for you?
Some good job opportunities for former felons:
- Operations specialist
- Construction Representative
- Project Scheduler
- Quality Inspector
- Business Analyst
PRA Group, Inc. is a debt buyer and collection company based in Norfolk. They are one of the largest debt buyers in the US and have annual revenues of over $813 million (2017). PRA Group has a number of job openings, mostly in their call center and debt collection operations.
Great entry-level jobs for former felons:
- Call Center Account Representative
- Analyst-Service Desk
- Events Associate
- Collection Agent
- Complaint Analyst
CHKD Thrift Store
Children’s Hospital of The King’s Daughters (CHKD) is located in Norfolk and is the only freestanding children’s hospital in Virginia. They operate 22 CHKD Thrift Store locations throughout Hampton Roads and Richmond, including Elizabeth City and Kitty Hawk, NC. CHKD has over 1,100 employees and over $190 million in annual revenue.
Some promising openings:
- Supply Chain Technician
- Equipment Technician
- Patient Registration Associate
Trucking jobs for felons in Norfolk
Driving a truck is not for everyone, but if this is something you like the sound of, then you need to look at the trucking industry for some good jobs. Trucking is always an in-demand job, and the industry has a good history of hiring former felons.
Below are a few companies to check out for trucking jobs for felons in Norfolk:
- Truck Enterprises Chesapeake, Inc.
- Carroll Trucking Inc.
- MV Transportation Inc.
- Southeastern Freight
- Service Transfer, Inc.
Warehouse jobs for felons in Norfolk
Another opportunistic area to include in your job search is warehouse jobs for felons in Norfolk. Warehouses often have many openings for entry-level positions and don’t require a long list of education or experience in new hires. Many larger companies have warehouse operations, so don’t overlook companies that are not warehouse-specific businesses.
Here are some warehouse businesses to look at locally:
- Port Norfolk Commodity Warehouse
- Terminal Warehouse Inc.
- Port City USA
- Lineage Logistics
- Nicholson Companies
Temp agency jobs for felons in Norfolk
Locating a job quickly may be an important consideration for you. If this is your situation, then you should check out temp agency jobs for felons in Norfolk. Agencies always have long lists of job openings, and they will have many positions with low barriers to entry that will give you the best chance of success.
Here are some of the better agencies in the area:
- Insight Global
- Staff Zone
- Snelling Staffing of Norfolk
- Advanced Temporaries, Inc.
- Virginia Career Works – Norfolk Center
Second chance and job training programs for felons in Norfolk
Virginia does have Ban the box laws that prohibit employers from asking about prior criminal arrests, charges, or convictions on the application. However, they may ask during or after an interview, and can still run a background check.
Finding a job is only one challenge you may face as a justice involved person. If you are needing additional assistance with your daily life, then you should contact one or more of the second chance and job training programs for felons in Norfolk.
Resources for former felons in Norfolk:
- CARES T.E.A.M.
- Mission: The Norfolk Department of Human Services uses a community-based approach to integrate human services and public safety. We work with City of Norfolk residents who have been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony charge.
- Services offered: Education
- Step-Up, Inc.
- Mission: To help re-integrate offenders into society by providing them the knowledge, skills and training they will need in order to make a successful transition from a correctional facility to the rest of their lives.
- Services offered: Education, Family, Mental Health
- Prison Fellowship
- Mission: To restore those affected by crime and incarceration. Prison Fellowship is the nation’s largest Christian nonprofit serving prisoners, former prisoners, and their families, and a leading advocate for criminal justice reform. The organization was founded in 1976 by Charles Colson, a former aide to President Nixon who served seven months in federal prison for a Watergate-related crime. Through an awakening to new hope and life purpose, Prison Fellowship helps those who once broke the law be transformed and mobilized to serve their community, replacing the cycle of crime with a cycle of renewal.
- Services offered: Addiction and Recovery, Education, Family
- Assisting Families of Inmates
- Mission: The mission of AFOI is to provide opportunities for regular, meaningful visitation, referrals to community resources, and other services that help families cope with incarceration and prepare for release and reunification. We strive to prevent the breakdown of relationships among inmates and their families by providing regular, meaningful visitation, support, referrals and education services. Our programs help families and loved ones throughout the period of incarceration, and also prepare families for a successful transition when the inmate is released from prison back into our community. Assisting Families of Inmates is one of only a handful of such programs to provide these services in Virginia and across the United States.
- Services offered: Family
- The Second Chance Offender Rehabilitation Effort (SCORE)
- Mission: Enforce federal law and defend the United States, Advance public safety, Foster respect for our legal system and the rule of law, Promote a peaceful and lawful society where the civil rights of all persons are valued and protected, Strengthen relationships with our law enforcement, agency partners, and members of the judiciary.
- Services offered: Addiction and Recovery, Medical