How would you like to work for a company that’s 100% employee-owned, like the grocery chain Houchens Industries? You’re likely here because you really want to know does Houchens Industries hire felons in the first place. Relaunch Pad asked the company directly about their hiring policies to find out for you.
At Relaunch Pad, we’re committed to helping former felons like you land a good job. Many of our staff have experienced firsthand what it’s like to find work with a criminal record. That’s what gives us the expertise to tell you how to get hired at Houchens Industries.
We can answer:
- What kind of jobs does Houchens Industries have?
- What are their interviews like?
- Does Houchens Industries do background checks?
- How do I apply?
- Does Houchens Industries hire people with misdemeanors?
Does Houchens Industries hire felons?
Official company policy for hiring felons
The company told us the following about how to get a job at Houchens Industries with a felony:
“We welcome all applicants to apply and be considered among the others who have applied as well.”
Has Houchens Industries hired felons in the past?
The above official statement from Houchens Industries isn’t crystal clear about whether or not they’ve hired felons before. But, it suggests that every applicant will be given the same consideration. Therefore, they certainly could have experience hiring felons.
Does Houchens Industries hire people with misdemeanors?
Our research didn’t answer this question, one way or another. There’s nothing specific on the company website and no online comments from staff.
The application asks about misdemeanors, but doesn’t say you can’t get hired if you have one.
Is Houchens Industries on the Ban the Box list?
There are two great initiatives that help former felons find work that we want to tell you about.
The first is Ban the Box. It encourages companies to focus on job skills before a criminal record. Basically, employers who have signed on to Ban the Box remove the criminal record check box on job applications.
The second initiative is the Fair Chance Business Pledge. Employers who sign the pledge confirm they’ll treat everyone equally when they apply for a job, including former felons.
It appears that Houchens Industries isn’t involved with either of these initiatives. Even so, remember that their official statement suggests they will consider all applicants equally.
Does Houchens Industries have special programs for hiring felons?
We could find no evidence that Houchens Industries has any special programs for hiring felons. However, this isn’t surprising. A lot of companies don’t.
What are the odds someone with a felony will get hired?
We believe the odds you can get hired at Houchens Industries with a felony are uncertain. Here’s why:
- The official statement we got from the company says they welcome everyone to apply. This means you can expect to be treated fairly with a criminal record.
- They do background checks and look into your criminal record. This suggests it will be given weight in the hiring process.
However, the company values include “fair and honest dealings with all . . . [and] open communications with all employees/owners.” Therefore, we suggest you take them at their word and apply with confidence.
What are some entry-level jobs?
Most of Houchens Industries staff work in the company’s grocery and convenience stores. And, that’s where we looked for examples of entry-level jobs.
Here’s what we found:
- Driver — Drive short-haul from food distribution centre with some overnight runs.
- Cashier/Sales Associate — Receive payment and resolve customer complaints.
- Deli Associate — Prepare food, organize products and create appealing displays.
- Sandwich Maker/Sandwich Artist — Prepare food, and make salads, sandwiches and wraps.
- Meat Cutter/Butcher — Prepare, store, cut and serve meat.
- Stocker/Clerk — Receive merchandise, stock shelves and arrange displays.
These jobs are active and physically demanding; some specify lifting up to 25 pounds. Many job postings have the same requirements, such as team work, friendly customer service and working well under pressure.
How to get hired at Houchens Industries with a felony
To understand how to get a job at Houchens Industries with a felony, you need to try to put yourself in the hiring manager’s shoes. Most jobs at Houchens Industries rely on an ability to work well with others in a busy, high-demand workplace. Therefore, the manager will want to know you can keep your cool.
You can apply directly on the company’s website. Use the Food Group application button or browse through the companies owned by Houchens Industries. Then, you can upload your resume to the company and location you’re interested in.
Do you know someone who works at Houchens Industries? Getting a referral from an employee is the best way to apply.
In fact, 72% of people who commented on glassdoor.com said, in their experience, that’s how to get hired at Houchens Industries.
How to ace the process:
- Start with a great resume.
- Try gearing your resume to the job you’re applying for by focusing on the skills and responsibilities listed in the job posting.
- Remember to include any volunteer work you’ve done, whether it’s stocking shelves at the food bank or participating in a one-time fundraising event.
- Highlight any certificates or awards you’ve received.
- Get help writing and reviewing your resume.
- Make sure you bring a copy of your resume to the interview.
- This shows you’re organized and confident.
- Have a read through ahead of time. It will help you feel less nervous.
- Remember to have the contact information handy for your references.
- Ask people who can comment about your work ethic and history.
- Also, include some character references.
- And, if you have a referral from a Houchens Industries employee, make sure you know what they’re going to say about you. You don’t want them talking about your criminal history before you can explain!
- Prepare for possible interview questions.
- Try writing out what you want to say about your job qualifications.
- Plan how you will talk about your criminal past and lessons learned.
- Study up a little about the company, such as what they do and their history.
- Think about why you want to work for Houchens Industries.
- See if you can put the company values and mission statement into your own words to say why they make sense to you.
- Practice, practice, practice your answers until they come naturally!
Does Houchens Industries do background checks?
Yes, Houchens Industries does background checks. Their job postings commonly include the statement that hiring is “subject to pre-employment background and drug screening.”
Furthermore, when you complete an online application, you’re giving Houchens Industries permission to verify “your work [history], academic experience, and/or driving record.”
It also asks if you’ve “been convicted of a crime in the last 10 years.” to “describe in full” for their review. You’ll need to tell them if you’ve “been convicted of any felony or twice convicted of a misdemeanor involving alcohol related offenses in the last two years.”
Here’s what you need to know about background checks:
There are states where employers will go back just seven years for a background check. These are the states:
- New Hampshire*
- New York*
(* sometimes certain pay or salary bracket positions require one.)
On the other hand, employers in certain states don’t take into account any charges where you were found not guilty. Here are these states:
- New York
Be warned, however, that in the states listed below you can expect employers to look at your whole record. This includes any not guilty verdicts:
- New Jersey
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
Houchens Industries has some good online review from staff. Here’s what we found:
On indeed.com, they score 3.4 out of 5 based on 70 reviews. The highest marks are for work-life balance, culture and management.
People also liked the company for good pay and benefits, a flexible work schedule and providing a great learning experience.
In addition, the company has 40 reviews on glassdoor.com. Here, they also get 3.4 out of 5. Forty-three percent of employees said they’d recommend the company to a friend and 53% approved of the CEO.
What felony convictions might have a hard time getting hired here?
You’ll be working with customers, so the manager will want to know the circumstances of any violent offences. As well, they’ll need to know that you’ve dealt with any anger issues.
Also, if you’re going to be driving for the company, they’ll want to make sure you have a clean driving record and are insurable to drive a company vehicle.
Finally, theft and fraud offenses can be a problem. If you’re applying for a job handling money, the hiring manager will need to know they can trust you.
Does Houchens Industries drug test?
Yes, they do. Houchens Industries’ job postings say you’ll have to pass drug screening before you are hired.
Have you applied for a job or worked here? Share your experiences!
Tell us what you know. In your experience, does Houchens Industries hire felons?
This is your chance to have your say and help readers like yourself!