Searching for companies that hire people with criminal records can be intimidating. Our team wanted to help shoulder some of your stress by providing a resource focused solely on companies likely to have jobs for felons in San Jose, California. With a population of over one million and roughly 80,000 local businesses, San Jose can offer the fresh start you’ve been looking for.
Many of our staff are also former offenders with intimate knowledge of the justice system. We know having a criminal background can sometimes be discouraging. Thankfully, it doesn’t have to be. There are more options out there than you think! We’ve reached out and asked more than 1,000 companies directly if they’ll hire employees with a record. Save yourself valuable job-searching hours by using our research and advice to help you find the best job opportunities for former felons in San Jose. We’ve done a lot of the work for you!
Jobs that hire felons in San Jose
We’ve given you a search feature below with employers most likely to have jobs that hire felons in San Jose. Make the search your own. Customize the list specific to your needs by using the fields such as job type or industry.
Top companies that hire felons in San Jose
Finding the top companies that’ll hire employees with a criminal record in San Jose isn’t often as easy as simply filling out an application and hoping for an interview. We’ve got you covered, though. Why? Because many on our staff have been in your situation and can relate to your challenges. We know the struggles of reentering the workforce with a criminal background seemingly hanging over your head.
That’s why when we say entry-level jobs are the easiest ways to get hired on, even in companies that hire felons in San Jose, you can believe us. You can always prove yourself along the way, but getting a job when you have a gap in employment, skills, or education is crucial to moving on.
Focusing on San Jose’s strongest industries like Silicon Valley’s professional, scientific, and technical services are great if you hold a computer-related degree. They do, however, offer some entry-level roles in administrative and custodial. If your skills lie in another direction, you should check out the service sector in San Jose.
If you’re ready to explore your options, click on one of the company names below or read on for more information on getting a job locally.
Downtown San Jose Farmers Market
Don’t forget to spruce up your resume before you start job hunting. Make sure it’s up-to-date and highlights your skills and talents.
Are you not sure where to start? Don’t worry. You can access our resume guide for former felons here.
Now, let’s take a look at the top companies for hiring employees with complicated backgrounds in San Jose:
Established in 1940, Henry’s Hi-Life has been in San Jose for a long time. You might already be intimately familiar with the restaurant, but have you thought about working here? The casual atmosphere and quality eats will help your shifts fly by.
Some entry-level jobs here include:
- Line Cook
Your local Ace Hardware store could be the right fit for getting you back on your feet. Plus, you may learn some really handy things about home products and maintenance. There are lots of hardware stores across the city, so you’re bound to find one that fits you. Maybe it’s Ace!
The most frequently available entry-level positions include:
- General Labor
- Team Lead
7.ai, Inc. develops software for companies that uses artificial intelligence and machine learning to help companies better understand their customers. Located in Silicon Valley, most positions call for a college degree, but they do offer entry-level job options for those without a degree. For offenders currently enrolled in college or already have a computer-related degree, an internship or entry-level job here could provide valuable on-the-job training and field experience.
A few entry-level jobs available at 7.ai, Inc. include:
- Administrative assistant
- Customer sales representative
- Salesforce administrator
- Technical support
- Marketing and sales associate
Located in San Jose and headquartered in Silicon Valley, eBay is the world’s largest online auction website and promotes both business-to-consumer and consumer-to-consumer sales. A position here not only allows you the chance to add a familiar name to your resume but can help you develop and cultivate new skills and talents. If you’re wanting to turn your entry-level job into a permanent position within the company, there are opportunities for promotions. eBay offers plenty of benefits as well. Health and wellness benefits, retirement plans, paid time off, as well as paid holidays are just a few benefits made available to most employees.
Entry-level jobs at eBay consist of:
- Technical Support
- Customer Service Representative
- Sales Associate
- Computer Engineer
As one of the largest electrical contractors in North America, Rosendin Electric employs more than 7,000 people. The 100-year-old company ranked #1 out of 85 companies in the Bay Area as Top Workplace 2020 by the Bay Area News Group. These rankings are based completely on employee surveys. For former felons interested in an IBEW union job, Rosendin Electric might be the opening you’ve been looking for.
Entry-level jobs found at Rosendin Electric are:
- Administrative Assistant
- Sales Associate
- Service Technician
Downtown San Jose Farmers Market
What’s better than working in a market? Whether you are a downtown resident or plan on taking transit in, this centrally located farmers market is just the ticket
Here are some entry-level positions typically available here:
- Stall Operator
- Customer Service
Manufacture San Jose
One of the larger manufacturing companies in the area, MFG:SJ is a great place to look for manual labor work that involves shift work. They hire regularly, and declare they’ll hire former offenders. What are you waiting for?
Entry-level positions at this company can include:
- Inventory Clerk
- General Labor
Iron Construction is the type of company where the name says it all. They make solid builds and use a solid team of dedicated workers to make it happen. If you’ve got the work ethic and ability to do physical labor, look into this company as a great source of employment.
A few types of entry-level jobs are:
- General Labor
There are lots of hotels in the San Jose area, thanks to the vibrant tourism industry. If you’re looking for immediate employment, consider Holiday Inn since they hire lots of locals. Plus, there are a few locations that you could workk from.
Holiday Inn’s entry-level positions include:
- Food prep
Maybe you like to do more technical work, but don’t want to be in manufacturing. We’ve got you covered. Working at a printing press like Maple Press can meet those needs. They offer a variety of roles that focus around San Jose printing needs, from pamphlets to books.
Below are just a few entry-level roles you can find here:
Trucking jobs for felons in San Jose
Trucking jobs are a great way to get back to work after a conviction. Not only are trucking companies well-known for hiring former felons, but some will even train you.
We’ve narrowed down the list of the top companies in San Jose with trucking jobs for felons in San Jose here:
- Flash Global Logistics
- Mosaic Global Transportation
- San Jose Car Transport
- King Crane Service
- Andrew Auto Transport
Warehouse jobs for felons in San Jose
Warehouses often need to quickly fill positions to keep the company running efficiently. You can find jobs in the warehouse, shipping department, administration, and everything in-between. The good news is many of these companies will consider employees with a criminal background.
Below are some of the top companies with warehouse jobs for felons in San Jose:
- Team San Jose
- San Jose Distribution Services
Temp agency jobs for felons in San Jose
As we covered at the top of this article, staffing agencies are a great employment option for former felons looking for something new. There are several employment agency jobs for felons in San Jose with positions available in a variety of industries.
Here are the top temp agency jobs for felons in San Jose:
- LaborMax Staffing
- Motion Recruitment
Second chance and job training programs for felons in San Jose
California first enacted Ban the Box laws in 2013 for all public employers. They extended these laws to all employers with five or more employees at the beginning of 2018.
But, what are Ban the Box laws? The United States legislature established Ban the Box laws in 1998. It states employers must first consider an applicant’s work history before jumping to the criminal background check. Former felons are given a second chance since employers can’t unfairly eliminate the application based on criminal history before the interview.
San Jose offers additional assistance for those looking for a fresh start in life. These types of programs can provide valuable housing, education, financial aid, and other resources, helping former offenders get back on their feet.
Check out the second chance and job training programs for felons in San Jose:
- Santa Clara County Reentry Resource Center
- Mission: Reduce recidivism by using evidence-based practices in implementing a seamless system of services, supports, and supervision.
- Services offered: Addiction and Recovery, Clothing and Household, Education, Employment, Housing, Legal, Medical, Mental Health
- Delancey Street Foundation
- Mission: We have successfully graduated over 18,000 people from America’s underclass into society as successful taxpaying citizens leading decent, legitimate and productive lives. We have opened new doors in fields of homelessness, education, vocational training, social entrepreneurship, substance abuse and pathways out of poverty, crime and violence.
- Services offered: Addiction and Recovery, Clothing and Household, Education, Employment, Family, Food, Housing
- Episcopal Community Services-San Francisco
- Mission: The ECS Workforce Development and Social Enterprise program provides 300 individuals annually with job counseling, job readiness training, adult education, high school equivalency, culinary training, other vocational programs, and housing support services to help them move into stable employment, better jobs, and permanent housing.
- Services offered: Education, Employment, Family, Housing
- Community Assessment Service Center (CASC)
- Mission: The Community Assessment and Services Center (CASC), is a one-stop, multi-service reentry center which specializes in working with justice involved people ages 18 and older. Led by SFAPD and UCSF/Citywide, and in partnership with public safety partners, the Department of Public Health, Human Services Agency, Office of Economic and Workforce Development, an array of talented community based providers, the CASC provides support for justice involved adults in San Francisco. The CASC, l embraces a client-centered, strength-based approach, empowers personal responsibility and streamlines access to evidence based services which include clinical and reentry case management, medication management and distribution, peer coaching, cognitive behavioral interventions, substance dependency and recovery services, education and employment services, barrier removal and benefits enrollment assistance.
- Services offered: Addiction and Recovery, Education, Employment, Legal, Mental Health